My Home Energy Tips
Provides context-based tips and calculates the value of the smarter choices you can make everyday about how and when to use electricity.
No Extra Equipment Required!
Energy savings starts with us and the choices we make every single day about how and when to consume electricity. Many of us don’t even give it a second thought or understand how much electricity devices in our homes consume.
MyHomeEnergyTips presents recommendations based on the items in your home, the weather, and the cost of electricity, calculates the value of taking those recommendation in dollars and carbon avoided, and tracks your progress over time.
The combination of easy set-up, real data associated with recommendations, and feedback makes the application easy to use and effective. Since the cost is low, all the benefits of energy conservation accrue to you.
How It Works
- Enter information about you – your zip code, your savings goal etc.
- Enter information from your electricity bill – rate and historical usage
- Take a quick inventory of your home’s HVAC, appliances, lightbulbs etc.
- Follow the daily recommendations presented to you based on items and appliances in your house, the time of day, weather and other factors.
- See the impact of recommendations in both dollars saved and carbon reduced so you can understand the long term implications of small actions.
- Track your progress over time.
- Share results with your friends through Twitter.
Why Our Approach Makes Sense
The problem is, the technology to manage these programs is expensive and requires attention, time, and sophistication to make them work. For example, setting up a home energy monitoring network, attaching it to a smart meter, and making changes based on the information can cost hundreds of dollars and take at least a day to install and configure.
Using tools (Smartphones) and data (monthly usage, energy savings benchmarks, and pricing info) that are already available is a faster and cheaper way to help an important sub-segment of the energy consumers achieve a significant portion of these benefits.
Since the cost is so low, all the benefits of energy conservation accrue to the end-user.
The iPhone functionality of MyEnergyTips delivers the following main elements:
- User Profile: The user enters a minimal set of information including monthly usage history and energy price (easily found on the bill), conservation target, and climate zone.
- Home Audit: Create a “home profile” by selecting from a list of appliances, lights, HVAC etc. that are in a house. The key here is no data entry, only the selection of items to include which significantly improves usability.
- Recommendation Generation: Each time the user consumer opens the application, a set of custom recommendations based on the audit, weather conditions and other factors are generated. The user then takes those actions and then taps on the list item to register it as “done.” Each action taken adds a savings amount both in dollars and carbon avoided that is added to the users performance to date total.
- Tracking: From the tracking tab the user can view performance for each month against the goal, the percentage of actions taken, as well as the results of the audit by device type. From this screen, the user can share results to their Twitter account.
- Alerts: At set times during the day, the application generates an alert for the user to check out their recommendations.
The combination of easy set-up, real data associated with recommendations, and feedback makes the application easy to use and effective. Since the cost is low, all the benefits of energy conservation accrue to the user.